Libreville is the capital of Gabon. The region was first inhabited by the Pongoue (Mpongwe) people after the 16th century, who were in turn, followed by the Fang. Ultimately, the French built a port in the region in 1843 and in 1949, named a group of Pongoue villages Libreville. From 1860 to 1874, the British, Germans, and Americans started businesses here. This city was the capital of French Equatorial Africa from 1888 to 1904.
This industrialized city is also the center of education for Gabon. It is the site of universities, libraries and research institutes. Also existing are churches, a hospital and a mosque. The major export is lumber. In the 1960's, population doubled because of the development in industry. The city now supports over 350,000 people.
[ Western Africa - Northern Africa - Eastern Africa ]
[ Central Africa - Southern Africa - the African Islands ]
© Copyright 1998, ThinkQuest team 16645
All rights reserved.