Submitted by Nomty Gcaba and Omashani Naidoo of SchoolNet
Inqolayolwazi Primary School, in oZwathini, Kwazulu-Natal received a sponsorship of 25 tablets and 2 laptops from Sweden due to the generosity of BJörn Homströ. Mrs Sylvia Chamane, principal of Inqolayolwazi sought SchoolNet’s assistance to maximise the donation and purchased more laptops. Intel® Education sponsored Getting Started training to all teachers at the school.
The teachers reflected that this training was a godsend and arrived just in time to help teachers and felt that “Christmas had come early” After the third day of training the teachers were in awe that they could teach using the tablets and laptops.
Mrs Chamane could see the effect the tablets and laptops had on her teachers and the learners and knew that the tablets would change everything for her school. She said teachers are very motivated and willing to teach using this technology and that the training offered by Intel® and SchoolNet was amazing. Mrs Chamane further invested school funds in her school by purchasing an additional 10 tablets and three laptops. the training was conducted by Nomty Ncaga of SchoolNet.
Ms Cele, was brave enough in the first week to attempt a lesson teaching polygon shapes in Mathematics to her Grade 5 learners. She asked the kids to conduct their research on particular shapes and capture their answers. The learners were enthralled and a buzz of excitement permeated the lesson.
The educators showed their great appreciation for their Intel ‘Getting started’ training by writing the following comments.
- We need this exposure to basic computer knowledge.
- The training was very helpful and lot information was gained in the short space of time.
- · I am grateful that I was one of the participants
- · The whole program was interesting
- The method used and the practice was an eye opener to us as teachers and learners.
- Time is too short, we need more support as it is new to us
- Thanks to the instructor. She is so kind, relaxed, soft-hearted and somebody who is approachable.
- Please come again – we need more lessons.
This school under Mrs Chamane’s leadership and with such motivated teachers can only grow from strength to strength. Keep it up Inqola! SchoolNet thanks Intel for sponsoring this training using the Intel Getting Started course.