Here is a message from Microsoft:
“At Microsoft, we believe a powerful way to learn is from each other and if we can connect classrooms, we can change the world. That’s why we’re empowering students and educators around the globe to do just that. On November 29th and 30th Microsoft is hosting a Global Education Skype-a-Thon. Over the 48 hours, classrooms will connect to other classrooms and guest speakers around the world using Skype and contribute to help reach the goal three million virtual miles travelled.
Learn more about Skype-a-Thon at www.skypeathon.com
How to get involved
Step 1: Ensure your profile in the Educator Community is up to date. Go to ‘edit profile’ and ensure you have completed the ‘Skype in the Classroom’ section. This will allow you to register as a guest speaker, update your profile with your Skype username and set your availability for Skype calls.
Step 2: Find a classroom or expert to connect with through our Skype in the Classroom community and set up your Skype call for November 29th and 30th
- Play Mystery Skype – The global guessing game between two classrooms that gets kids learning about geography, culture, and the similarities and differences of how children live all over the world.
- Talk with a guest speaker – Connect your class with volunteer guest speakers from around the world on a wide variety of subjects.
- Take a virtual field trip – Take your students on an adventure without leaving the classroom. We’ve got lots to choose from including museums and zoos.
Step 3: Have your Skype call on November 29th and 30th. After your call, share your experiences, miles travelled and what your students learned. Use #skypeathon on social media.
- Share the number of miles you travelled between locations.
- Share what your students learned from each other or their guest speaker.
- Get creative and share photos of your experience.
To help you celebrate Skype-a-Thon and recognize your students achievements, we have also made available a number of Skype-a-Thon assets as well as a certificate which you can download here.
Take a look at the Sway for last year’s highlights and ideas to get you started this year! Contact the Skype-a-Thon team for more information at Skypeathon@microsoft.com.
Your Microsoft in Education team “