Below is a brochure about the African Storybook project that has been put out by Saide (South African Institute of Distance Education) in Johannesburg . Saide is administering this great project which aims to facilitate availability, access to, and use of sufficient good stories for early reading practice for African children ages 2 to 9. It will do this by setting up an interactive website with stories for early reading and by encouraging educators and literacy development organisations working in early literacy of young children in African countries:
- to access openly licensed digital reading resources of various levels and types on the site
- to translate and/or adapt the stories into a familiar language and context for the children they work with
- to create their own stories and upload them in the templates provided,
- to contribute already published stories and make them available under an open licence, and
- to use them in a variety of ways for literacy development.
Free online short course ‘Digital storytelling and the African Storybook Project’
Next week (15th April) we start with a free online four week course for interested teachers around the country entitled ‘Digital storytelling and the African Storybook Project‘. If you would like to know more about the course and possibly sign up please visit out SchoolNet blog on this URL: https://www.schoolnet.org.za/p/courses.html
Here is the brochure put out by Saide on the project. This can be downloaded if desired. To download click on the image and when the e-book appears go to the bottom right and choose the icon which has an arrow pointing down. Follow the prompts.