Submitted by Fiona Beal
I am glad to report that there are quite a number of TeachMeets about to take place around South Africa. This is exciting! If you live anywhere near these areas please do investigate. At a TeachMeet, which is a free event, teachers volunteer to share for three minutes about a successful lesson that involved technology integration. It is a great time of networking, learning, sharing and friendship. Usually they submit a PowerPoint, a video, etc to the organiser so that they can show their lesson as they talk.
Previous TeachMeet posts
I have written quite a few TeachMeet posts on this blog in the past:
Here is a list of the upcoming TeachMeets in the order that they will take place:
1. Somerset House in Somerset West is holding a TeachMeet on Weds 23rd May at 6pm. Read more and sign up here: https://sites.google.com/site/thattechteacher/teachmeet
2. St Mary’s in Durban is holding the first ever kwaZulu-Natal TeachMeet in Durban on Tuesday 29th May at 6pm. Read more and sign up here: http://teachmeetdurban.wikispaces.com/home
3. This is not really a TeachMeet as such but something similar happening in Durban. It is the very first meeting of edICTs (Education ICT Society) meeting. The focus will be on the “Flipped classroom’ with Neith Moore from DGHS starting the discussion by sharing about her successful flipped classroom project. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more.The date is Wednesday 30th May at 3:15pm
4. Elkanah House is having their next ever-popular TeachMeet followed by an iPadmeet on Saturday 2nd June at 11am. Read more and sign up here http://elkteachmeet.pbworks.com
5. Microsoft is holding their second TeachMeet on Monday 4th June in Johannesburg. from 15:00–17:30. Contact email@example.com to find out more.
The presentation template can be downloaded at: http://www.pil-network.com/Discussion/c10c0a0b-efca-48f1-bde0-767e0a88d8cd
Take a peek!
At this point I’ll add the two Slideshares from the last Elkanah House TeachMeet in Cape Town to give you an idea of how it was done.
And now for a challenge…
Why not take the plunge and start a TeachMeet in your area? Please take a look at the http://teachmeet-southafrica.wikispaces.com/ to
see how to go about this. You can also place your advert there so that
we know about your venture. It’s a great way to network and get to know
other like-minded teachers in your area.