Infographics are very popular at the moment. They are visual representations of information, data or knowledge and as such they speak louder than mere words would have done to make their point. Every day I see infographics tweeted about on Twitter and I love looking through them to see what their message is about.
Steps to creating an Infographic
Before you start actually creating your infographic take note of this advice
1. Research your topic from a number of sources.
2. Decide on the purpose of your infographic. You want to convey menaing about your data collection.
3. Select your creation tool
4. Look at infographic examples for inspirtation
5. Decide on a colour scheme
6. Keep it simple.
7. Evaluate your infographic.
8. Show your infographic and see how people respond to it.
Let’s get started creating an infographic using Visual.ly
Visual.ly (http://visual.ly/) is good place to start creating an infographics. the infographic ‘Saving the world through water’ featured in ‘Favourite infogrpahics’ above is a good example of an infographic created using Visual.ly. Visual.ly is easy to master and includes easy want to share your infographics. These two videos will help you get started.
Creating Infographics to present information requires students to process the information and find ways to express it visually in simple and concise ways. This requires good understanding of the topic. If they don’t fully understand the information they will have difficulty completing a successful Infographic.
4) At ISTE 2013 I attended a very good session on making inforgrapics. The link to the presentation can be found here.