SchoolNet started a free membership programme for South African educators towards the end of 2011 as a way of providing educators with various free, online professional initiatives that focus on integrating ICT into daily teaching.
What does SchoolNet’s Membership Programme include?
Social Media Initiatives
- The SchoolNet SA blog has regular updates of posts which would interest teachers.
- Our SchoolNet Facebook page has daily updates of resources and events.
- We can be reached on Twitter at @SchoolNetSA.
- Our SchoolNet YouTube channel is updated when necessary.
- Our SlideShare tutorials can be found at http://www.slideshare.net/Schoolnetsa11/presentations
- Our webinars can be found on our webinars blog (and also on the Schoolnet SA blog).
- Our Diigo bookmarks for tagging resources can be followed
- SchoolNet is participating in the TeachMeet programmes developing around the country in the Eastern Cape, Western Cape, Kwazulu-Natal and Gauteng, and has created a TeachMeet wiki for South Africa to advertise these events
- We send out a regular newsletter to keep our premium members informed of all our happenings, upcoming events and opportunities.
- View our SchoolNet Weeky Times which is an online newspaper collection of our weekly tweets made using Paper.Li
- View our curated online newspapers on topics of interest made with Scoop.it. These include topics such as Learning with tablets, Tablet-use videos, Using gamification in education etc.
SchoolNet’s short, free, online courses
During the year we will be presenting free, online short courses for our premium members from time to time. These are normally four weeks in length and they are supported by a weekly webinar.
Our 2012 short, free, online courses programme covered the following topics:
- Why not consider creating a classroom blog?
- Twitter for Beginners
- Explore Microsoft’s Free Tools
- Discover the potential of using Wikispaces for student projects
- How to get the most from Google Docs
- Technify your classroom
- Use Google for Professional Development
What are the benefits of SchoolNet’s Membership Programme?
As a member, you will:
- receive early access to notifications of forthcoming offers and opportunities
- have the opportunity to grow personally and become more proficient in integrating ICT into your daily classroom routine by enjoying an online professional development experience.
- have opportunities to network with like-minded professionals.
- join our free, online short course programme.
- gain preferential access to professional growth interventions such as courses, conferences and webinars.
- receive a monthly newsletter outlining all our happenings, upcoming events and opportunities at SchoolNet.
- participate in SchoolNet’s social networking initiatives.
How to join us as a member
This is available to all South African educators.
1. Go to the Schoolnet website’s home page and click on ‘Sign up for SchoolNet membership’.
2. Follow the prompts and wait for confirmation of your username and password.
3. Contact email@example.com if you experience any difficulties.