Google Educator Groups are growing steadily with a fantastic membership of 568 teachers since August 2014. The GEG South Africa Google+ Community is alive and populated almost daily with events and training thus far completed. Google Educator Groups aim to grow voluntary groups of teachers who are ICT Champions who want to be leaders that work in their immediate communities to spread the awareness of the various Google offerings and keep ICT oriented or interested teachers involved in regular discussions around ICT Integration for teaching and learning.
What’s the GEG curriculum all about?
- The curriculum is in the format of in-class delivery, rather than online modules.
- The curriculum covers the following Google products: Drive, Gmail, Presentations, Forms, Maps, Sites, Google+ Communities, Hangouts.
- Curriculum includes 10 take-away activities which are specific lessons designed for the teachers to take back and use with their classe
- Online safety is integrated throughout the lessons when relevant
- Each lesson has skills-based activities and a skills based output to asses. Each lesson also has a knowledge based assessment (multiple choice exam).
- There are Classroom Connections at the end of each lesson focused on how else the highlighted product can be used in the classroom.
- There is a cumulative exam associated with the curriculum. If teachers pass it they will be granted a Google for Education Basics Level Certificate Google for Education Basics Exam These basic exams are free and will award a certificate to each user. The more advanced certificates require payment; however it may be possible to get a subsidy for this.
Read the whole report on the website here