ICT Leadership for Education Managers
School ICT Learning programmes (Module 3: Workshop 3)
Ideally you should have two categories of teacher in a school. Teachers who teach about ICT and teachers who teach with ICT. IT and CAT teachers would teach about ICT - it is their subject and ICT is the subject of the learning. Not all schools offer these subjects. Other teachers would teach with ICT - teachers and learners use ICT during lessons. In this workshop we will focus on the latter category of teacher.
One can classify learners' use of ICT according to three modes of learning:
- ICT supporting learning
- mostly application, practice and reinforcement of existing learning
- impact minimal
- few ICT skills learnt
- ICT enhancing learning
- makes an impact on teaching strategies and styles
- ICT offers opportunities beyond the normal classroom teaching
- learners learning new skills e.g. information handling skills, thinking skills, relevant ICT skills
- ICT extending learning
- activities which may be difficult without ICT
- supplement by high level of learning skills development e.g. problem solving, higher order thinking, collaboration, independent learning
- ICT learning model, University of Chester
By the end of this task you could achieve the following outcomes:
- Conduct an informal audit on the extent of ICT use in your school.
- Reflect on and compare the contexts of ICT literacy and ICT integration in your school.
- Identify curriculum uses of ICT.
- Define the roles of the teacher and learner when using ICT in your school.
- Plan specific actions to make the use of ICT in learning programmes more effective in your school.
2 hours 30 min
Workshop questions: Can ICT enhance and extend learning?
|1||Introduction and audit (30 min)
» View the introductory presentation
» View the levels of teaching practice
|2||ICT or Computer Literacy (45 min)
Reflection (25 min)
» View the trainer presentation
» View the programme evaluation tool
|3||Using ICT to achieve critical outcomes (45 Min)
» Using the Internet for research.
» Using presentations to share knowledge.
» Using spreadsheets for entrepreneurship and EMS
» Using spreadsheets for mathematics discovery learning.
» Teachers learning online
» Using the word processor to prepare class worksheets.
» Using the word processor for interactive worksheets.
» Using a desktop publisher for brochures.
» Learner support document
» Learner sample presentation
» Learner sample brochure
» Learner sample website
|4||Role of teacher and learner (this activity must be done in tandem with Activity 3 above) (30 min).
» What South African curriculum frameworks say about type of learning activity.
» What international research says about standards of teaching and learning.
|5||Community of principals
Join the Partners in Learning Network and find a community of principals online.
|» Go to the Partners in Learning Network|
Related scenarios» Issues regarding effective use of ICT resources
» Information leadership: Managing ICT resources
» School ICT readiness