Read aloud with Nal’ibali and Gcina Mhlophe
Every year, World Read Aloud Day draws everyone’s attention to just how important reading aloud and sharing stories with children is. People all over the world spend time on this day celebrating the power of stories and building communities of readers.
This year World Read Aloud Day is being celebrated on 4 March 2015. Join us on this day and read a story especially written for us by South Africa’s best known storyteller, Gcina Mhlophe to children you know. Last year Nal’ibali called on South Africa to help set a read-aloud record and together we read aloud to nearly 50,000 children! This year we’d like even more of you to join us and read to children on this special day – and, of course, then continue reading aloud to them throughout the year.
How to join in:
On 4 March 2015, read our World Read Aloud Day story to:
- your own children, grandchildren, nieces and nephews
- children in your class or at your school
- groups of children at your reading club, library, educare centre or community centre.
Download one of our World Read Aloud Day story kits below with the story, fun activities and a special World Read Aloud Badge for children to colour in – or read it online here.
- Download Sisanda’s gift in Afrikaans
- Download Sisanda’s gift in English
- Download Sisanda’s gift in isiNdebele
- Download Sisanda’s gift in isiXhosa
- Download Sisanda’s gift in isiZulu
- Download Sisanda’s gift in Sepedi
- Download Sisanda’s gift in Sesotho
- Download Sisanda’s gift in Setswana
- Download Sisanda’s gift in Siswati
- Download Sisanda’s gift in Tshivenda
- Download Sisanda’s gift in Xitsonga
Sign up and stand the chance to WIN!
Help us break last year’s record when we reached more than 47 000 children through our World Read Aloud Day Drive. Whether you’re a parent reading to your child at home or a school arranging for older children to read to their young peers, sign up below – and stand the chance of winning 2 domestic flight tickets courtesy of South African Airways (see Ts and Cs below).
Ts and Cs: Employees of South African Airways, PRAESA and Times Media are not eligible to enter this competition. Entries will not be accepted after the closing date: 11 March 2015 . The two winning tickets can be utilised within 2015 on SAA domestic-operated routes only; are subject to availability and are not redeemable for cash.